Slider

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Tenryu-ji Zen Temple



One May 15th, I found myself arriving by streetcar to Arashiyama Region in Kyoto, Japan. Streets were lined with stores selling trinkets and the sidewalks were speckled with tourist. Along the way I grabbed myself a cucumber Popsicle (literally a cold cucumber on a stick).  Located in this community I explored the grounds of Tenryuji Temple. Tenryuji Temple (天龍寺, Tenryū-ji) is the head temple of the Tenryū sect of Rinzai Zen Buddhism. It was founded by Ashikaga Takauji in 1339, primarily to venerate Gautama Buddha, and its first chief priest was Musō Soskice.  In 1994, it was registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as one of the "Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto"


Entering the grounds along a gravel path, I discovered myself walking past small enclosed gardens with places of worship inside. While many rushed by these small enclosure and onto the main attraction, I took a moment to explore. However, it was just a brief moment compared to what I wished I had time for. The enclosures were all unique, some filled with alters of worship, others with statues of Buddhas and some containing pieces of paper fortunes.