Slider

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Man Who Inspired It All



I came to New York with the idea to photograph street performers. Then I met a small Spanish violinist and my perspective changed. He was standing in a tunnel as I was transferring from the B-line over to the 7-line at 42nd street and 5th avenue. Dressed in bright red, standing just barely 4'9'', he was playing the most gorgeous melody. I don't know his story but i wish i did. I tried to ask him some questions but he only spoke spanish. Although we lacked verbal communication, the wrinkles in his face seemed to show all the years of hard labor.  His eyes told his story, maybe not the specific details, but there was a sadness in his eyes. I wanted capture this, not for reasons of exploitation but show what great respect I have for these hardworking performers.

This desire led me into some of the most memorable experiences while in New York. Because of this one man, I spent every free moment in NYC running around subway terminals listening for the sweet sound of music. All in all I photographed over 21 Subway musicians.  I love people, I love their stories and I am impressed with the talented musicians I have encountered. As I said my goodbye to the violinist, I slipped some money into his case and bid him gracias.

 Thank you Musician at 42nd Street & 5th Avenue for inspiring me.